Image of university

You have an offer of the British university…

Here, most of the UK application process is already behind you, and you are a step closer to enrolling in the University of the Island. You responded to the “conditional” bids received on time, you stopped at the university you would most like to follow, and now you still have to learn the results of the matriculation and certification exams in English (in case you have not yet such as TOEFL exam) to find out if you meet the conditions.

Meanwhile, however, there are a few things you need to do.


Image of student and libraryMost universities have already opened their online application portals and if you wish to be accommodated in your first wish as an option, now is the time to register. What should I pay attention to when choosing accommodation? The main differences are whether you want to include a full board in the cost of your dormitory, or prepare your own food, whether you will devote a kitchen and bathroom to other roommates, what is the furnishing of the room, etc. Another important point when choosing accommodation is how many minutes from the university is the hostel building. Also check which consumables such as electricity, water, heating, internet are included in the rental price. Look for information as to whether and for how much time you have to pay in advance and what is the amount of your initial deposit.

Typically, all information, including a campus map, can be found on the website of each university.

The option of accommodating in a student dormitory instead of a private accommodation is optional, but it is preferable especially at the beginning as it will help you to adapt more quickly to the new environment.

Student loan

Image of student loanOnce you are aware of where you want to live in your first year of study in the UK, now is the application for a student loan. Do not forget that the amount that usually covers the full tuition fee does not come to you, but translates directly to the university where you will study. As a citizen of an EU Member State, every international student is entitled to apply for such a loan, administered by the Student Loan Company, a state fund agency in the United Kingdom. The maximum you can apply for was £ 3,290. You are expected to start repaying the loan, along with interest after you finish and your salary reaches a certain level different for each country (£ 15,000 for England). Applying for this loan by filling out a form – if you have not received a paper version of the form from UCAS, you can find it in a PDF version of the agency’s website. When sending, remember to add a certified copy of your ID card or international passport. The deadline is June 25, but do not wait for the last minute. You should usually receive a reply between 2 and 3 weeks after sending the required documents.

Continue reading »